Friday, January 10, 2014

Growing My Pineapple

Ok, I have to be honest. When I buy any plant for my house it dies after few months. I start believing I am a plant killer so I stop buying plants.  However my summer vegetable and plant gardens are amazing.

For those of you that know me, will not be surprised that now I would like to try to grow a pineapple plant.  Why not? I am still growing my lemon tree (started last year in April) and yes I live in Michigan and the tree is still alive. As to the lemon tree I will let you know about that progress next week.  Let's concentrate on growing a pineapple LOL.


But does it work?  Can you actually grow your own pineapple at home in Michigan? I know in a warm climate it would be easier, but what the heck, I love challenges so here we go.


This is my pineapple that I got at Meijer my local grocery store.  I would love to name my pineapple…..no good names come to my mind right now. I am asking you all for some help in that area. Any suggestions? 







1/10/14 Step 1: 
Obtain a Pineapple, potting mix for citrus fruit, 8" clay pot with bottom drainage, rocks and pot saucer.


1/10/14 Step 2: 
Grab hold of the entire top of the pineapple leaves and twist hard so the core comes out. 



1/10/14 Step 3: 
Trim the bottom so the fruit is gone. That will prevent rotting.


1/10/14 Step 4: 
After trimming, carefully slice another piece from the bottom until you see root buds that appear as small dots or circles on the flat. Remove as little tissue as possible.


1/10/14 Step 5:
Now, strip 1" of lower leaves.


1/10/14 Step 6:
Now we will let the crown dry out for 1 day before our next step. This will let the bottom and the leaf scars heal and prevent rotting.  

1/11/14 Step 7:
Poke 4 toothpicks along the base of the pineapple just above the area you peeled back and put the pineapple top in a clear glass container (if you want to be able to watch the progress).



Place your pineapple top away from heating or cooling areas. Now we wait and watch for roots to grow. Make sure you change the water every few days and keep it filled so the peeled back base is covered. Roots should start growing over the next several days. However you need to wait 3 weeks for healthy root growth. Than you should be ready to plant your pineapple top.  

2/23/14 Step 8:
Well, as you can all see the pineapple took almost 5 weeks to have roots, but now he is ready to be planted. Also my kids end up naming the pineapple - Fred. However they could not explain why they named it Fred. All I got is mom it looks like a Fred. Hmmm, ok Fred it is.

2/23/14 Step 9:
Once roots appear, plant the pineapple in a fast draining potting soil such as a Bromeliad or Cactus Potting Soil mix, look at Step 1. An eight-inch porous clay pot with bottom drainage is ideal. Layer about two inches of stones in the bottom of the pot prior to putting in the soil. 



2/23/14 Step 10:
Finally fill up with soil and plant the crown (Fred) lol and water it thoroughly prior to placing it in a window or a sunny place. 


In terms of watering, the soil should always be slightly moist; not wet (which will promote rot) and not dry. It will take six to eight weeks for the stalk to really start sending out strong roots. Do not rush this process or fertilize at this point.

I will see you all back in about 2 months and we will take a peek of the progress :)