My Favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup




Creamy, rich broccoli-cheese soup is perfect for those cold nights that don’t want to go away. As much as I love the broccoli-cheese soups I am not crazy about all those calories and fat grams. So, I decided to try my old recipe with fat-free half-and-half cream to see if I can still pull off the creamy, rich taste. To my surprise, the soup turns out to be amazing with the same great taste.



Ingredients:

2 tablespoon melted butter
1 medium chopped onion
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups fat-free half-and-half cream
4 cups chicken stock
3 cups fresh broccoli florets (if you like texture in soup use florets and stem)
1 cup carrot, julienned
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
16 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper



Directions:







Saute the onion in 2 tablespoon melted butter and set aside.












In a large pot whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.













Cut up broccoli florets and julienne carrots.  










Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium-low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.

Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. 

Comments